Audio Engineering Society (AES) @ Columbia College Chicago
In Association with the Department of Audio Arts & Acoustics
The Audio Engineering Society http:www.aes.org is the major professional society dedicated specifically to the audio profession. Members receive the monthly Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, where many scientific audio-related research and innovations are introduced, as well as advance notification of conventions, conferences, and local chapter meetings. AES members include professionals from all areas of audio including acoustics, sound contracting, recording, live sound reinforcement, research, design, film and video sound, multi-media, marketing of audio-related products, education, and more.
The AA+A AES Student Section is the principle student group at our Department and functions as the AA+A liaison to the AES local Chapter. The group is committed to bringing together students with a mutual interest in audio technology. Through regular meetings, students have the opportunity to interact with other audio students at all levels of study, in effect networking with their potential future colleagues, employers, or employees. Any student enrolled at Columbia College with an interest in audio may join the group and attend AES events. Planned events often incorporate guest speakers such as local professionals, industry leaders, and audio innovators. Other possible monthly activities include critical listening sessions, student project presentations, equipment evaluations and comparisons, and audio facility tours.
Sample Past Activities:
- Road trips to attend the annual Central Region Audio Engineering Society (AES) Student Summit in St. Louis
- Organization and promotion of a presentation by George Blood, President of Safe Sound Archive, that discussed a) best practices in the handling of analog magnetic recordings and b) findings on the actual accuracy of the data we get from analog-to-digital converters
- Planning and hosting of the Audio Arts + Acoustics Gallery as part of the Manifest Urban Arts Festival
- Assistance with student portfolio showcases
- Promotion of student participation in the annual AES conference, with departmentally subsidized trips to Saint Louis, San Francisco, etc.